Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Update about my sholder, bones...

Today I finally had a word with ortopedic surgeon. He belives that my injuries are related to my past workouts( weight lifting, bench presses etc). The cystic changes - those little cysts are fluid filled and most likely they have to do cortisone injections( oh, those are so painful).
I had them done on my hands 2 years ago. And I had to wear brace most of the time to keep my wrists on place ( it worked, but 3 days after I took my hand brace off , pain was back and I just deal with it)

AND I am weak jointed-I knew that allready, after half an hour warmout I can flex here and there.
TO try to fix the problem without cortisone injections and surgery I HAVE to see physical therapist 3 times a week for 4 weeks. AND other days I don't see therapist I have to do my little strengthening exsersises at least couple of hours per day. Not so happy about that. :(

(from online sourse)
What is shoulder bursitis?
Many patients seek medical attention for shoulder pain, and a common diagnosis given is 'shoulder bursitis,' or 'shoulder tendonitis.' The doctor will then often state that identifying which of these diagnosis is the true cause of pain is not important because the treatment is the same.

This is true. Shoulder bursitis and rotator cuff tendonitis are all ways of saying there is inflammation of a particular area within the shoulder joint that is causing a common set of symptoms. The best terminology for these symptoms is 'impingement syndrome.' Impingement syndrome occurs when there is inflammation of the rotator cuff tendons and the bursa that surrounds these tendons.

Where is the anatomical problem?
The shoulder is interesting in that several bones, muscles, and ligaments contribute to this complex joint.

Impingement syndrome, or shoulder bursitis, occurs when there is inflammation between the top of the humerus (arm bone) and the acromion (tip of the shoulder). Between these bones lies the tendons of the rotator cuff, and the bursa that protects these tendons.

Normally, these tendons slide effortlessly within this space. In some people this space becomes too narrow for normal motion, and the tendons and bursa become inflamed. Inflammation leads to thickening of the tendons and bursa, and contributes to the loss of space in this location. Eventually, this space becomes too narrow to accommodate the tendons and the bursa, and every time these structures move between the bones they are pinched--this is the impingement.What causes this problem?
Impingement syndrome is a descriptive term of pinching of the tendons and bursa of the rotator cuff between bones. In many individuals with this problem, the shape of their bones is such that they have less space than most others. Therefore, small thickenings of the tendons or bursa can cause symptoms. Often there is an initial injury that sets off the process of inflammation. Thereafter, the problem can be self-exacerbating. Once there is an initial injury, the tendons and bursa become inflamed. This inflammation causes a thickening of these structures. The thickening then takes up more space, and therefore the tendons and bursa become are pinched upon even more. This causes more inflammation, and more thickening of the tendons and bursa, and so on. What are the symptoms of shoulder bursitis/impingement syndrome?
Common symptoms include: Pain with overhead activities (arm above head height) Pain while sleeping at night Pain over the outside of the shoulder/upper arm

No comments: