Thursday, May 31, 2007

Trans, saturated and other fats...


Today I was kind of bored and decided to find entertainment by getting more info about FATS. Now I know why my cholesterol is fine. I just use foods that are low of all bad fats. I really did not read labels that much- I just checked cal content and general fat content, but if it had trans fats or saturated fats or other fats,, I just did not... I have been eating Healthy all along, BUT just giant amounts. My foods are 98% trans fat free. Which is good, since trans fat, like saturated fat and dietary cholesterol, raises the LDL cholesterol that increases your risk for CHD.(coronary heart disease). STAY AWAY FROM MARGARINE......

Following is copied from FDA website.. Very informative...

Here are some practical tips you can use every day to keep your consumption of saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol low while consuming a nutritionally adequate diet.

  • Check the Nutrition Facts panel to compare foods because the serving sizes are generally consistent in similar types of foods. Choose foods lower in saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol. For saturated fat and cholesterol, keep in mind that 5 percent of the Daily Value (%DV) or less is low and 20 percent or more is high. (There is no %DV for trans fat.)
  • Choose alternative fats. Replace saturated and trans fats in your diet with monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. These fats do not raise LDL cholesterol levels and have health benefits when eaten in moderation. Sources of monounsaturated fats include olive and canola oils.Sources of polyunsaturated fats include soybean oil, corn oil, sunflower oil and foods like nuts.
  • Choose vegetable oils (except coconut and palm kernel oils) and soft margarines (liquid, tub, or spray) more often because the combined amount of saturated fat and trans fat is lower than the amount in solid shortenings, hard margarines, and animal fats, including butter.
  • Consider fish. Most fish are lower in saturated fat than meat. Some fish, such as mackerel, sardines, and salmon, contain omega-3 fatty acids, which are being studied to determine if they offer protection against heart disease.
  • Choose lean meats, such as poultry without the skin and not fried and lean beef and pork, not fried, with visible fat trimmed.
  • Ask before you order when eating out. A good tip to remember is to ask which fats are being used in the preparation of your food when eating or ordering out.
  • Limit foods high in cholesterol such as liver and other organ meats, egg yolks, and full-fat dairy products, like whole milk.
  • Choose foods low in saturated fat such as fat free or 1% dairy products, lean meats, fish, skinless poultry, whole grain foods, and fruits and vegetables.

Now, I love food ( you know it), and I can eat. I have eaten to a point that I threw up and then continued eating ( just some kind of chemical imbalance in my brain was shut off, and I did not get fullness sensation ..but that is long story... and happened while ago...

I can still eat to a point to a throwing up, BUT I have learned to recognize signs of fullness ( which is ONE OF THE HARDEST things to do). BUT my issue is, I still overeat and I do not feel full. I can consume about 6000 -7000 cals in one sitting and still eat, eat eat.. VERY frustrating... but anyway...
I am happy to let you know that I am on track again. I started loosing this week. I started slim fast plan, and it keeps my full . What I do to make it more appealing.
I take 1/2 cup frozen organic raspberries, 1/2cup water, 1/2 cup carrot juice , littlebit of ice, i tablespoon of extra fiber, and I blend it. OH SO JUMMY. Sometimes I use fresh bananas, fresh strawberries, carrots, apples, or mix all of them, and OMG. It is best meal ever. ALl nutrients I need in one cup. :) YUMMMMMMM...

Hopefully, ( if I do not fall off the track) I will be in my "yellow polka dot bikini " in 3 weeks ;)

No comments: