Sunday, December 03, 2006

yeah....

Ihope you guys enjoyed my last entry. :) i was told that I should learn to express my feeling more often... We'll see about that. Just mild warning to all of you out there .... better be nice or I blow some asskicking steam to your way... and i am not going to hold back.... But talking about steam... I really , really wanted to relax today. So I went online and started looking up for some of my favorite chirstmas food drink recipes, so I could share them with you :) If you et a moment check them out. They are quite tasty :)

First 2 recipes are Glogg Recipes- it is a HOT drink full of holiday flavour. I am sure you will enjoy it. Especially those of you who get inches of snow...
http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=26071

http://www.hurrah.com/cookbook/glogg.html

Next- Liver Pate. ... One of my faves. If you do not love liver, you will like this dish. ;)

Liver pāté
500 g calf's or pig's liver
200 g bacon
2 onions
garlic
2 carrots
pepper, nutmeg ,salt
1 gl water
100 g butter
sugar
cognac, brandy or rum
Cut bacon and fry it with sliced vegetables. Add sliced liver and brown the mixture. Add seasoning and water and boil until all the ingredients are soft. Grind the mixture with a mincing machine. Add butter and whipthe mixture. Put the mixture into bowls and store it in a cold place.

Potato Salad with Red Peet....... OH, YUMMMMMMMMM

Potato salad with red beet
700 g cooked beet
400 g cooked potatoes
200 g cooked carrots
1 medium salted herring (kipper can do)
1 - 2 pickled cucumbers
2 apples
200 g roast pork or cooked beef
2 - 3 hard-boiled eggs
6 dl sour cream
salt according to taste
½ tsp mustard
a little sugar
spring onions to garnish
Makes salad for 10 - 12 persons. This salad contains lots of cooked red beet, the sweet taste of which goes well with salt herring and pickled cucumber. Peel the potatoes, carrots and beets, and core and peel the apples. Fillet the herring, removing the skin and even the smallest bones. Cut everything (except eggs) into tiny cubes. Stir sour cream, mustard, salt and sugar together to make a sauce. Mix all the ingredients with the sauce, leave covered in the fridge for an hour or two, and take out about one hour before serving. Put a nice heap of salad in a dish or a bowl, cover the surface with finely chopped eggs,egg slices or segments, and decorate with chopped spring onion.

Estonian SourKraut.


Estonian sauerkraut (mulgikapsad)
1 kg sauerkraut
½ gl barley grouts
400-500 g bacon
1 - 2 onions
salt, teaspoon of brown sugar
water
Put the sauerkraut in a saucepan with pearl barley and meat. Cover it with water and stew it under the lid. It is important to see that the water does not boil off. Add salt and sugar. Cut the onions into little cubes and fry them with little fat or oil. Add them to the sauerkraut. Serve Estonian sauerkraut with boiled potatoes and pork.(use crock pot to cook this dish )

These are just few recipes...
I also give you some links with more info about Estonian Christmas celebrations. :
http://eeuropeanhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/estonian_christmas_traditions
http://www.vm.ee/estonia/kat_459/pea_174/2829.html
http://www.vm.ee/eng/kat_174/1191.html

11 comments:

Lennuk said...

i'm so hungry!!!
have you ever made black pudding (vähemhirmsam nimi inglise keeles)?
i'm done with sauerkraut for a while.
i sold 50 jars of mulgikapsas and another about 40 combined of sauerkraut soup and praekapsas!

i need to save these foodlinks...

Queen D said...

I made them while In NJ, and when I was a kid , I made them with my mom..

Hei, question about Sausages- Did you add Rosmary in them.... ???

Lennuk said...

We didn't add rosemary. We add majoram and thyme!
Did you try them already? How they were? Any complaints?

Queen D said...

OK, here is my complait...( don't let this comment bother you ). I made sausages last night... I took a big bite of it and got WHOLE bunch of herbs ,, so instead of tasting sausage, I got a herbal flavour exposion in my mouth... I try tonight agai, but this time I do it in the owen....

Lennuk said...

Oops, I'm sorry!
I hope it just happend to be this only unlucky herbal sausage!
We mixed it well though!
Hopefully tonight your bite will be better!
Let me know!

Kathy said...

Our neighborhood Christmas party is Saturday night, it's a progressive dinner.

You've inspired me to make some of those Swedish dishes I haven't made in so long.

I think I'm going to make Glögg and Fruktsoppa to take to the party, I haven't made either one for probably 4 years. Tomorrow morning I'll track down those cardamom seeds somewhere.

Yum.

Lennuk said...

Diana, how was second bite? More herbs? I hope not! So far we have heard good reviews for our sausages... but of cource we have not happend to have food critic tasteing our food :) :) :)

Queen D said...

Second bite was SOOOO much better. :)P):):) But i did have to add little extra salt. Flavor was AWSOME:):):)

Kathy- I LOVE GLOGG... I LOVE IT!!!!

Lennuk said...

I love glögg too! Add some cognac or rum and lots of ginger. That what makes it firey!
Tommorow we will have glögg!

Happy, that you liked the flavor! Salt... yeah.

Queen D said...

I am afride that i can't drink tomorrow. I am still on meds and alcohol is one of the things I am not Allowed to have. :(

Lennuk said...

suhhoi bajok siis joogi näol :)
you will get doggy bottle :)